Skip to product information
1 of 2

Pinotage 66%, Cabernet Sauvignon 28%, Merlot 6%

Frans Malan 2017 - Simonsig

Frans Malan 2017 - Simonsig

Regular price €26,70
Regular price Sale price €26,70
Sale Sold out
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
In 1991 Simonsig presented the first blend of Pinotage and Cabernet Sauvignon at the Cape Winemakers Guild.
After the success of the 1991 vintage, the winery decided to make this blend in a limited version, marketing it to the public. The resulting wine is named after Frans Malan, the founder of Simonsig and the patriarch of the Malan family.
Cape Blend Frans Malan has a ruby ​​red color. On the nose an explosion of blackberry and dark cherry with touches of vanilla and hints of wood.
On the palate it has a pleasant freshness with a persistent fruit finish. The wine has a good structure with round tannins.
Expected evolution: it will reach maturity between 5 and 8 years after harvest.
Pair with: Meat, such as Egyptian dukkha-crusted beef tenderloin, slow-roasted pork belly, roast duck and ostrich fillet.
Serving temperature: 18° C
Alcohol content: 14.5% 
Cap: Cork


Wine of Origin South Africa.

In the vineyard

The 2017 vintage was a challenging year. The Western Cape's drought conditions and hot, dry climate have produced grapes with small berries but great intensity and concentration. Warm days followed by cool nights during the ripening period resulted in grapes with excellent color and size.

In the cellar

All the grapes are harvested by hand and selected in the vineyard. All grapes are cold macerated for two days before fermentation. Pinotage spends 6 days on the skins before pressing, with regular punching occurring after inoculation. Cabernet Sauvignon spends a total of 20 days on the skins. Pumping over is done 3-4 times a day. Merlot fermentation lasts 9 days with 3 pumping overs per day.
Malolactic fermentation takes place in a combination of steel tanks and barrels. Finally, the wine matures for 13 months in French oak (86%) and American oak (14%) barrels. 57% of the barrels are new, while the remaining 43% are second use barrels.


Robert Parker: 89;
Tim Atkin: 91;
Diner's Platter: 90.

View full details