We are the official importers and distributors for Italy of Anthonij Rupert Wine Estate.
Between 1688 and 1689 about 150 Huguenots emigrated from Europe to the Cape area in South Africa. These families received concessions along the Berg River in the area now known as Franschhoek. In 1694 the land of about 51 hectares known as L'Ormarins was attributed to the Huguenot Jean Roi, who planted orchards and 4000 vines in a land destined for the production of wine and wheat.
In the 19th century the wine estate experienced a period of great ferment. A large number of families from Franschhoek brought their grapes to L'Ormarins, where they were vinified and the wine was stored in different barrels, each owned by a family. In 1833 L'Ormarins produced the first South African brandy and began to stand out for its white wines.
In 1968 Anton Rupert bought L'Ormarins, restoring the Manor House and historic cellar in 1984, both of which have been declared National Monuments. In 1989 L'Ormarins won all the major local wine competitions under the direction of Anton's son, Anthonij Rupert. In 2001, Anthonij died, leaving the leadership to his brother Johann Rupert, who gave new life to the South African wine estate choosing solutions that were always at the forefront of the winemaking process.
In 2004, the internationally renowned winemakerMichel Rolland joined the team of Anthonij Rupert; Anthonij Rupert Wines first vintage was released in 2009.
L'Ormarins Anthonij Rupert Wine Estate gives expression to the encounter of the Old World winemaking techniques with the peculiarities and characteristics of the terroir, climate and South Africa's most advanced winemaking techniques.